End of Japan :( Off to Taipei

Over the last week I have been enjoying Japanese classes at Coto. Initially it was a bit difficult because my reading and writing ability is quite limited, I never really paid attention to reading Kanji (the Japanese characters borrowed from China). However, having started it I see why it can give you a much deeper understanding.

I was under the impression that most of my classmates started Japanese a few months ago, but now I find out some of them have been living in japan for 5 years, or have been taking lessons for many years... so I can't really understand why they are at such a low level still. However, I feel I am one of the only students actually studying after class. Although we have 8 people in the class, class would usually be around 3-5 people, high no show rate which means more attention.

The class starts with new Kanji characters, reviewing new vocab, a mini quiz we do as a group, and then learning new grammar concepts (my fav part).

I was already pretty familiar with the grammar of this week but definitely got lots of practice. I am using Genki 1 textbook which we have just about finished which is getting closer to that intermediate level (but not their yet).

I am leaving for Taipei tomorrow and start Mandarin immersion come Monday! I do wish i spent a bit longer in Tokyo (or other city), studying Japanese but time is limited. However I'm still really have where I'm at with my Japanese and can't wait to book my next trip here.

Another thing to mention, while in Kobe, I ran into someone that looked like and old colleague who is from Japan. However, this was actually someone else, but after I messaged my friend Teppei who lives in Tokyo, he offered me to round with him in the hospital he works at... which I did and it was great! It was so interesting to see how similar our practice is in many respects. In rounds he asked me about management of a patient, the residents were laughing at my response and said that is what Teppei says all the time.

And now some pics


Last day splurge on matcha cake. The right pic is one of my favourite snacks, almonds and little fishes... when I come back this will be my first snack!

There are lots of cafes, but this place makes and amazing roasted Tea latte. The bottom right is a matcha waffle, I finally caved last day and got it, although tastes... manufactured, it does have those sugar bits you get inside the waffle like in Belgium!

.  

Bottom left, last day splurge as well, Edamame but crunch and dried up. The bottom right pic is a snack at 7/11 I never got to eat.






Below is an instagram-ed place for tons of lobster, it was around 20 bucks. They have one for 100 bucks that has caviar, maybe next.


Below was a candy place I found in Shinjuku, all of their stuff is caramel chews... slightly flavoured. I don't quite the hype as its largely just sugar, butter and some flavoring, but it was also delicious.




Bottom left was a new street fighter I was playing in Akihabara. I was playing against this Chinese women and her husband, I beat her like 8 times, she thought she was close... she didn't stand a chance. Below is a kaiten sushi, I think one of the best ones I've been to for value is in Shibuya but i never got to eat at the one in Tokyo Ginza Plaza 10th floor, they always put signs up saying that had stopped serving :(



This is how the class room looked. I really disliked the way lots of students spoke Japanese, they over used a lot of anoooooo (the Japanese equivalent of welllllll).




Last meal was Yoshinoya, famous beef bowl comfort food.


 

















Tomorrow I had to Taipei, will be very hard for me to stop all my Japanese studies, but I'm really excited for this challenge. I am trying to get as close as possible to B2 in Mandarin in 8 weeks. I have not done any pre-study, but this weekend my plan is to organize tools, study time, language exchanges, etc. School starts 4 hours a day. I will be going to ShuoHao language Center which is in Da'an district, I will be staying in Xinyi. I also have an anytime fitness near me which is super exciting (the pass I got here was an international one).

Please excuse spelling/grammar mistakes, will correct when I have more time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of June 2023: Las Vegas and Merdia Mexico!

Mitad del mundo and historical center quito.

Unbound Merino :O