Kyoto, back to Tokyo and Japanese language school (and some missed pics).

So far my Japan trip has been going amazingly. With so much planning, I feel there was mainly only a few hiccups. I have felt as though I have explored so much, but still left so much to see or do. The trip definitely prioritized food and doing stuff.

I am now at Coto Japanese school studying Japanese, I am beginner 1 level 3. I feel like we are able to have basic conversation but enough to make the class a fun and conversational. Teachers seem a bit limited with English but it also forces us to use more Japanese to ask questions. The school is beautiful with as much roasted tea as a I want, but the class size was up to 8 one day, but it seems people miss often, today we had 3 people...


I am family with most of the grammar, but I am way behind on the Kanji. I have avoided learning this as I was worried it would slow down my speaking, but now the time has come. It is extremely logical and kinda fun, but I suspect it takes a bit before it's really helping. However, as I am going to Taipei for Mandarin immersion, this will likely be useful there as well.

It's quite difficult to put things in order as some of it is a blur, but I think posting pics and a few points about them is the best thing!

Top left, yes, this is a double Dragon reference. I died my hair grey when I got to Japan, they bleached it first, I did not use any special shampoo so this is what happened, but maybe it works. We stayed at a Ryokan in Kyoto, it had private onsens, good food, and snacks 24/7. To the right is a Mango I needed to try, was $30 dollars Canadian, was VERY juicy, but not worth thirty bucks.

I don't think I included the left pic in another post, but this was a Magic bar, there are tons of them in Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, and Kobe that I know of), you pay about 40-50 bucks, get a few drinks and watch a decent magic show.

This pic on the left of the ever famous "tits park" in Sanomiya in kobe, where I used to meet all the time with friends a very long time ago. It looks different now. To the right is Jeff and Michelle, friends from undergrad who are living in Australia, everyone seemed to be going to Japan at the same time.

My buddy Amit also in Japan, this is at Universal studios in Osaka and he is about to destroy some food. Although it was really fun, paying for the fast pass seems to be a MUST. To the right was part of the extensive and cool entrance to Mario cart game, we bypassed over an hour line, for 5 minutes... of amazingness!

Nintendo world - it was very surreal and felt like every detail was thought about. Very nostalgic. Unclear if Mushroom was a short person, very friendly nevertheless.

Through Universal there were regular performances that were so impressive, we saw a Sing show - white actors, good voices, we all enjoyed it. Not posted here but their water world performance was incredible as well, a HUGE scene created to make a fun little show.

Harry Potter line was intense, lots of people are dressed up in gear, weirded me out just a bit coming here must be orgasmic for people that are really into Harry Potter. So much attention to detail. They have an area where if you move the wand correctly some light comes on and something moves around a train. Bottom right, this was a dessert that I couldn't resist! 

I did check out the aquarium with Amit for a morning, it was pretty, but I might have skipped this and spent more time at Spa world in Osaka. Bottom right is Nishiki market in Kyoto, it's one strip of lots of food to sample. It like many places gets very crowded, and they strongly discourage eating and walking. I think it's a must do, but only once. Food is quite expensive.

Left bottom (Nishimarket). To the right, we did a traditional tea ceremony, it was cool but close to 100 bucks a person. The person who lead it seems to truly be a lifelong learner. 

This is the bamboo forrest in Kyoto, we arrived around 6:30 am I think, and very few people around, was peaceful! Bottom right is a place called Koe donuts, probably one of my fav places. The size of the donuts aren't so big, and the flavours were very interested.

 

Just reminding myself I ate sushi almost every single day and loving every minute of it. Bottom right, Kyoto had a samurai museum, I thought it was very well done despite so many people being present, we could then try on some stuff at a separate location.

We were in Kyoto for perfect cherry blossom viewing!

I was certain these claw games were bullshit... and then I won this gross candy.

Cookies and cream, cream puff... a must try, don't go alone, split it with 3-4 others! On the bottom right and pics below is Tokyo Small worlds musuem, this was awesome, it was 27 bucks, same price as the aquarium in Osaka. So much detail! 


I met up with childhood friend Alan Demsky! He took me do Shimokitazawa, it really did feel like the Kensington of Tokyo. Bottom left was a soy donut, yum!

Joyopalis, this is an indoor amusement park in Odiaba. After 4 pm, was 36 bucks. Very few people there. I was pretty fun although some of the rides were all in Japanese, including some reenactments, despite it being in Japanese it was hilarious and the actors give 120%. Definitely would recommend. On the bottom left was some game, after they take pics and show you how to pose.


After my week of Japanese classes, i head to Taipei for 8 weeks Mandarin immersion. I am purposely not studying any Mandarin before. This will be such an interesting study. I am aiming for B2, we will see how close I can get!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of June 2023: Las Vegas and Merdia Mexico!

Mitad del mundo and historical center quito.

Unbound Merino :O